Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Anybody Nostalgic This Season?



I should know better than write while I'm sick.   You'd think feeling sick would make me wistful and nostalgic, but not so.  Me, I have this content feeling, like I'm right where I ought to be.  How about you?  Seasons past tugging at you?

Last month has been full of the usual winter prep - cleaning gutters and gardens, getting my house trim painted, setting up birdfeeders, winterizing the RV, mouse proofing.  Mouse proofing the RV has gone splendidly so far.  Nary a tiny black pellet!  I've one supersonic device plus mothballs underneath the RV's sink, where they built two nests last winter (and amply peed and pooped).  And a container of mothballs in an exterior compartment where they stored acorns last year (peeing and pooping amply there, too).  Plus a cake pan of mothballs under the RV itself.   I also put a super sonic repeller in my garage, and nary a poop there, either, next to the five airtight bins of bird seed.  Gotcha!

Different story in the basement.  There, tiny teeth have gnawed through a long, fuzzy draft stopper - you know, the ones you wedge by a door.  Somewhere, there is a little nest with wee ones.  Maybe not yet.  My ears don't pick up any squeaks.  I hope there's time to dissuade the little guys.  I'm buying another super sonic rodent repeller, and they're not cheap.  Thought I'd show you which one. 


In the midst of the chores, I had a lovely Thanksgiving.  I thought of you, sending blessings to you all.  I hope you felt them!  My family kept the meal simple - dinner at my father's assisted living home. Everybody was healthy and happy.  Can't ask for more.

Now on to Christmas.  I'm really excited about my Christmas plans this year.  I've bowed out of the annual family celebration my sister generously hosts.   Too many years of extraordinary widow loneliness and orchestrated cheer.   This year, I'm moving forward, creating the spiritual oasis I need.  This year I need to feel closer to a Greater Love.  'Tis one reason for the season, right?  Besides, I had great fortune on Cyber Monday - a hotel room at reasonable cost in Back Bay Boston the week before Christmas.  On Christmas Eve and Christmas, I'm treating myself to harbor front luxury.

Since my spirit's calling out for clarity and company, I've been musing about what Greater Love means to me.

Greater Love. God. Infinite Light. Love Consciousness. Higher Power.  Whatever one calls ultimate reality.   I'm feeling lucky, warm, grateful.  These are my beliefs:

I believe Greater Love (GL) inhabits our bodies.  It really hit me yesterday.  BIG SOURCE GL cozies up inside each one of us, and considers it an honor to experience life through us.  No matter how hard it is, we're not alone.

There is no secret passage, no entry fee for GL to come inside.  Conception...Maybe first gulp of air...That's all that's required.   Look at a baby and tell me you don't see Greater Love.

My number one job is to love the person who GL slipped into when I was born.   I'm here for her.

Might you call this a certain sort of nostalgia?  I don't feel nostalgia for the full glass.  I've even stopped seeing the glass as half full or half empty.  Perhaps, as another wise blogger wrote, I'm coming round to saying "It's a beautiful glass."

What's going on for you this season?

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having success with your mouse proofing. I've got mothballs under my deck and plugged up some holes and so far I haven't seen any signs in my basement. I'm sort of afraid of using the sonic machine down there for fear that would drive them to the attic where all my wiring is. I think I'd have to start using one in the middle of the summer when they are all outside.

    I love your plans for Christmas! Boston is magical and I'll bet everyone there that time of the year will be friendly and jolly. Is it much of a drive from your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! - that you haven't seen mice in your basement. You and another man worked pretty hard finding and plugging the holes. I know what you mean about mice being driven elsewhere... Grrr. Are you going to put mothballs in your garage? Someone told me about Bounce dryer sheets work for car engines.

    I just ordered two more repellers for the basement. Carpet bomb 'em! I just hope they don't travel upstairs...luckily I don't have an attic.

    Boston is magical. It is a 3 hour drive. Two of the most charming years of my young adult life were spent in Boston. So there's always a spring in my step when I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dog who loves to wander around in the garage, looking in corners for bugs and spiders, I think. Mothballs are toxic to pets so I don't want to use them in the garage. I have a tray of DeCon by each door that he can't reach and I'm constantly refilling it, but I think mice are taking it down their hole right outside the door for winter storage. It's definitely a seasonal thing for them, early Oct. through the first snow.

    I loved the Mystic Boat Museum. I suppose you've been there or is it even still there? It's been years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple boat museums whose names escape me right now. I went to one as a child and even as a wee tot I felt the ship's quarters were so cramped! Boston's kept it's history without commercializing it too much. Love walking Beacon Hill neighborhood and Commonwealth Ave.

      Delete
  4. I've been to Boston half a dozen times, when Jennifer lived there, and can say, I never found any magical about it. Too many people. I could never see the horizon for a sunset, too many tall buildings. Her next door neighbor's were Indian, so I was constantly getting the smell of curry, which made me gag. Oh wait--there was a harbor side restaurant called Tia's which had the best lobster. I did lose myself when I ate there. LOL

    Right now, I am nostalgic. I am miffed that traditions are being changed while I am still alive. Can't they wait until I'm dead? Oh well.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, yeah...Boston's charm certainly isn't in it's horizons, although its new waterfront opens up some vistas. I can see why it'd feel confining for someone blessed with country views. I love Boston's historical and cultural traditions, and the seafood is super, too!

      I'd be nostalgic about any and all traditions as long as they were heartwarming. Does it feel, for you... That changing traditions is kind of bulldozing you under? No way is that Ok my dear friend.

      Delete
  5. I think it's wonderful you are feeling a real connection with your Greater Love/God. It puts a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Silver Willow. GL is so faithful. Always here. What I'm realizing is that I haven't always been a respectful host to GL and the dear person God slipped into. Praying for my heart to open to the greatest love of all.

      Delete
  6. The history of the city is definitely part of its magic. If you ever see any of the Otis or Warren statues and markers around town, say 'hi' to my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY?!? Does this mean you are a DAR? Judy unearthed that I am one.
      I travel through Otis every time I head to the family homestead. Did your particular ancestor live in Otis?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I could be a DAR if I wanted to go through gathering all the documentation they require. I did look into it as recently as last year but decided what's the point at my age. I don't know if any my direct ancestors lived in Otis but I'm sure it was named after the family in general. They were prominent in the Revolutionary War, even wrote the first history of the revolution and one would have been a signer if not for the fact he go beat up and brain damaged. Lots of their history is known because my family did a lot of penpalling with John and Abigail Adams.

      Delete
    3. Pen palling with John and Abigail Adams. That is cool! Yah, I'm not going to go through the process of being an official DAR, either, but it's cool to see the document from my ancestor who got a Revolutionary War pension. So sorry your ancestor was hurt so bad he couldn't sign the Declaration. He must be pleased we've remained independent, from wherever he is now.

      Delete