Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Bully Rules

Golden Sprinkles from Golden Boy
Bully season is here.  Here's how it works.  First, pee on the folks you don't like.  If they don't like it, sue them.  If they get up and move, carpet bomb 'em.

You need a bully to stand up for you when you've had your dignity, power and voice stripped by another bully named 'Circumstances'.   Right?

Is it true? There was never a time for me, up until age 18, when some mean, thin skinned bully didn't rule my life.  I mean, that's how the people around me offloaded their pain.  Life was simple.  Old-fashioned might makes right.    Black and white.  Villains and victims.  Me and the people out to get me.   Winners and losers.  'Fair' was something pictured on Saturday Evening Post covers but really rendered on shoot 'm up TV.   When my brother was upset, he'd chase me and wrestle me to the ground.  He'd twist my arm behind my back and grind his elbow into my ribs.  Or he'd wave a knife in front of me.  I should stop egging him on, our mother said.  My big sister looked so far down her nose at me that she confused me for either being nobody or Flossie the cow. My nervous wreck of a mother oozed either stale cigarette and alcohol breath, or contempt for the kids and husband who'd failed her.  

No doubt I would have bullied a younger sibling, but we ran out of siblings. So I survived by dreaming of a time when I'd be famous, and all the bullies would apologize to me.  I'll bet some of yesterday's voters feel Donald will deliver what the bullies have coming.  An apology from them may be the least of it.

I really didn't see it coming, that the bully to top all bullies would be elected president.  Only Putin and North Korea's Kim Jong-un remain, to prove that they are really the world's top bully.  Am I forgetting someone?

I volunteered yesterday, giving rides to democratic voters, so they could support the presidential candidate who was merely careless, cagey, and greedy, and not a bully.

Everyone at the Democratic headquarters was excited she would be our next president.   By 10:30 p.m. I had slunk to bed, afraid to wake up.   Hoping for a miracle.

Now thanks to 279 electoral votes, every parent will have to explain to their children why their president is vulgar, mean and thin skinned.  If only Donald was just a fencepost...

7 comments:

  1. It's been such a depressing day to get through. I just don't understand how anyone could not see what a bully, liar, and totally unqualified person DT is. His election is going to give a pass to the bullies of the world from playgrounds to war-grounds. I fully expect him to fail and as long as he doesn't bring bombs raining down on our heads it might be fun watching the Republicans take full responsibility for all the ills in our country now that they control every branch. In two years his supporters will not be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful take on our future! The Republicans will soon lose their right to whine. They will have to turn to whining about the free press and the right of citizen protest. Note to all: I am a moderate Republican/Democrat and mourn that our venerable institutions have been taken over by extremist bullies.

      Delete
  2. I too can only take hope that it will take less than 2 years for his supporters to realize what a mistake they made. Time for the Democrats to swoop in and at least recapture the Congress so we have some modicum of checks and balances again.

    p.s. new fan here. Of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Silver Widow. You are a reminder that grace, honor and kindness lives strong in some. I have a male FB friend who posted a letter of apology for DT, on behalf of good hearted men who are horrified by a president-elect who assaults those weaker than him self. I take great comfort from his grace as well. Thanks for visiting. I look forward to sharing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! I mean Silver Willow, not Silver widow. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. Just going back in time to one week ago. My oh my. President Obama seems to be the only person to keep a level head. I could not vote for either of the top two candidates ... their list of negatives seems to be tit for tat. Not a choice for me.

    But either way, that person WOULD be my president. Being from Portland, OR I am embarrassed at the paid for thugs who turned peaceful protest into rioting and damages and death. Like it or not, he IS our president.

    Let's get to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, let bygones be bygones. Bury the hatchet. First I needed to take a swing with my hatchet!! (Did anybody get hurt?)

      Delete