Monday, January 14, 2013

Inserting our Lives


 These are some of the words I've applied to widow:


  • Irrelevant Woman
  • Misplaced Wife
  • Has Been
  • Leftover from a Couple
  • There, There my Dear
  • Misfit
  • Nice Old Lady
  • Threatening Cougar
  • Stray Cat
  • Whiner
  • Loony Little Lady
  • Wallflower
  • Desperado
  • Sage but Sexless Woman
  • Burden
  • Lady in Waiting
  • Cat or Dog Lady
  • Brave Woman Battered by Fate
  • Calamity
  • Infection I better not Catch
  • Histrionic Loony tune
  • Example
  • Charity Case
  • Therapy Client
  • Mystery
  • Inspiration
Instead of feeling anything like these, let's show up and show 'em how it really is

Whatever we were, or are, or are becoming, let's insert ourselves into life.  Maybe this means we've finished rebuilding a life, maybe it means we're still gaining freedom from that master named 'Grief", maybe it means we simply like seeing our own reflection. 

In any case, let's do it on our own terms, not on a 'widow's' terms.

How do you see yourself today?

4 comments:

  1. I got a kick out of your list. I could write an entire blog entry about each item on it. I especially like the challenge of shedding these stereotypes from our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jean. I'll bet you could put these stereotypes in their place. I hate the idea of being pushed around by patronizing terms.

    A couple terms I use for myself: "Big, Beautiful, Beloved Babe" "Heroine"

    To each her own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you had a blog! I am so glad I found you--or you found me--or we both found each other--and we were both participants on the Widows blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Widowspeakup blog is so helpful. All the widows who write there are shining lights, how ever far out we are from that experience we have in common. Keep on... we're in a new chapter here, sometimes rough, but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete